Mathematics helps children to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At St. Ignatius’ Catholic Primary School we aim for all pupils to:
- Have a positive attitude to mathematics;
- Have the confidence to make decisions and to reason mathematically;
- Have conceptual understanding of mathematics and be able to apply their knowledge to solve problems;
- Develop growth mind-set and show resilience and perseverance;
- Move through programmes of study at broadly the same pace;
- Develop into fluent mathematical thinkers.
Maths Curriculum Leader – Mrs R. Jones