The government have announced that data allowances on some mobile networks can be increased free of charge to allow children to access online learning when families use a data connection rather than broadband.
If you have a mobile device on one of the following networks you may be eligible for the scheme:
- Virgin Mobile
- Tesco Mobile
- Sky Mobile
This scheme is open to children and young people who:
- don’t have access to a fixed broadband connection
- cannot afford the additional data needed to access educational resources or social care services
- have access to a mobile device that uses a participating network
- are facing disruption to their face-to-face education, or have been advised not to attend school
If you feel you will benefit from this scheme, please read the privacy statement at the bottom of this page and fill in the online form below and click ‘submit’. Your details will be added to the school database and you will be sent a message from your mobile phone data provider once we have added your details to the government system.
1. For the purposes of data protection, I need to let you know that the Department for Education (DfE) is running the Mobile Network Offer through schools and their trusts or local authorities.
2. If the offer is taken up by an adult account holder, the school or social care team will share the account holder’s name and mobile phone details with the DfE, who will share these with the relevant mobile network operator.
3. The mobile network operator will use that information to increase the data available for the account holder’s mobile device, as long as they qualify for the offer.
4. The adult account holder’s personal data is only shared with their mobile network operator for the purposes of the offer. No names of children or other adults, other than adult account holder, are shared with the DfE or the mobile network operator.
5. No personal information will be shared with the DfE if you do not want to take up the offer.
6. If you want to know more about how your personal information will be used before you take up the offer, we can send that to you first.
7. If you decide to take up the offer, you’ll get a text message from the Department for Education with more information about your data protection rights.